Monday, July 18, 2005

Are the planets out of alignment?

So the Manolo store has 2 sales a year. All season items in the store on sale. And me….. what am I doing the one day of the year that Blahnik’s has a sale? Could responsibility have actually overtaken the desire to purchase designer shoes? I am apartment hunting - or more accurately at the time the Manolo store opened after restocking – I was walking through the MeatPacking District – in sweltering heat. And yes it did smell as bad as you imagine it would. I think I may actually be losing it. Since when does a fashionista ever pick practical over couture?

My experience apartment hunting has been an interesting one. I discovered today there’s only one way to apartment hunt – and that’s with a broker, a city guide and town car. I was picked up at 10am this morning but a rather lush green Lincoln town car. First stop Trump Place (yes that Trump). Unfortunately – it set a fairly high standard for apartments for the day. Everything paled in comparison. With it’s high ceilings and 665 square footage – it’s a reasonable sized apartment. Complete with health club, doorman, concierge, security guards, valet parking, outside a 20 acre extension of Riverside Park, shuttle bus to the subway station, views of the Hudson etc etc – who could knock it back? Other than it’s not exactly in the part of Manhattan I wanted to live. Small price to pay? Check it out: www.trumpplace.com

After what felt like viewing 100+ apartments later (actually only 10), eating in the smelliest (yet apparently being the “it” place to eat – upper east side) and being accosted by a tenant in one of the apartment blocks - I got down to the one part of Manhattan I was interested in living. Other than the reality check that: 1. the apartments in the West Village are dumps; 2. the area is noisy and kinda smells; and 3. the prices are way out of the average persons price range – I think it went well. J

And I get to relive the experience again tomorrow and Thursday. Such Joy. I’ll still be a pair of Manolo’s down.

No comments: