Monday, July 25, 2005

Survival that was week 1

Day 1 at the office today. And anyone that saw me would have cracked up. I leave my hotel room (notice room) looking all styled, cool, sophisticated (Kez - you would have been so proud - I made use of accessories). Well this is NYC for you. While I was getting all prepped into the fashionista goddess ready to take the office by storm...... I made the monumental error of deciding to walk to the office rather than take that air-conditioned cab. The humidity today was off the record - it was around 37degrees with the humidity. And by the time I walked the 9 blocks to work (carrying all of my books and laptop and H2O) I walked in and looked as if I was melting (I actually think I was melting). So much for styled, cool, sophisticated me. The "living piece of art"* that started out like a Da Vinci ended up into a Monet.

But my day improved. I went to get myself a mobile number and something became bleedingly obvious to me (or rather cemented the debacle that is now referred to as the Social Security Office Nightmare). This place is more about choice than convenience. Convenience would be actually being able to order a mobile phone without it taking an hour just to fill in the form (1/2 of which you don't know what you are getting). Do I want 100 free text messages?..... if yes do I want PSC Vision [don't ask - I don't know]. Oh and then there's the option to get roaming so that you can use the phone outside of the immediate metro area..... this is a choice? Isn't that the whole point of a mobile phone?

Whatever it costs - add another $4 a month. Then do I want to be able to make international calls? Ummmmm? Yes I do! Another $4 a month. So all of a sudden my $30 month plan jumps up to $64 with all the extras. Oh and then the fine print...... you pay a surcharge of $1.50 month, then taxes (8% for NYC). Wow!!!!! All I want is a damn mobile. Now I am on the search for a pre-paid card. But given that the concept of EFTPOS is foreign here and they still pay by check - I won't hold my breath.

Which is a very different picture than the weekend. SuperVee actually got on the subway for the second time in her life.
All by myself..... without help, guidance or a map. I made it to my destination safe & sound(72ndSt via Times Square to Central Station), without getting lost, on the wrong train or mugged. Except I think I stood out a bit. Firstly it was the fact I ventured on the subway with heels (my poor Manolos - never again - they get carried in a bag). Then there was the clutching of my bag to my chest...... no way this chicky is getting pick-pocketed. But all in all - an exciting and interesting 12 minutes. So I was super cool (in my own mind) - on the subway. :-) Now the subway is an efficient system.

So I've started to piece together my schedule for the next couple of months. Here I thought I was moving to NYC to live the life of high glamour with side trips to Europe or at least somewhat interesting places in the US (San Fran, Chicago, Washington). But..... my first 2 trips. Phoenix, Arizona (and before you ask - there's nothing in Phoenix, Arizona) and Charlotte, North Carolina. Well what can we say about Charlotte, NC. I don't mean to be a pessimist (I haven't been there as yet) but this is a quote from the Yahoo Travel Site re Charlotte: "They like to project the image of a sophisticated, fast-lane cultural metropolis – in fact its center is somewhat soulless, though many nearby neighborhoods are delightful and stuffed with good places to eat.". Given the quality of the food here....... not exactly an enticement.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
* c/o Urby

No comments: