Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Question of the Day: To outsource or not?

If I had a manifesto (ok I admit I actually do [refer to entry Mon Oct 18th 2004]- but doesn't quite read the same) it would include the statement that one should outsource what one can outsource.** At least so I've started to believe. But time will tell - no doubt tomorrow when I pick up my laundry from Lee's Laundry and Cleaners I'll learn exactly how effective outsourcing can be. There's hope for me settling here yet. I dropped off my package, didn't even question the fact that I was actually handing over my prized possessions to "Laaaarry" (where was Mr Lee?).

I think I may have had a win today. Good old trusty(?) NAB broke with their "company policy" and have - at least verbally - agreed to send me a much needed reference letter. Again time will tell if this actually comes to fruition when I receive the faxed version of the letter. And how - may you ask - did I achieve such a great feat? On wit? charm? grace? Nope - it was the whole escalation card. When they say no (which they did 4 times on that call) keep getting them to escalate a level of management. I was happy to keep on going - right up to calling in some favours with the local management team. They really are not out to make one's life easy now are they. Just hopeless.

Anyway I sign off from what was a beautiful NYC day. It was HOT HOT HOT (34 degrees) - but we saw the end of the humidity (and we saw blue sky) and I must say I loved it. I've even learnt how to walk the streets of Manhattan while not actually breathing in. It's amazing. No doubt I'll get used to the reek that comes from such heat mixed with pollution and 1.5 million people occupying 23 square miles (that's 66,940.1 people per square mile - and doesn't take into account visitors or workers that commute outside of manhattan).


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

**With the caveat that this applies to ones personal life (we all know how disastrous outsourcing ones core competencies can be).

No comments: