Tuesday, March 28, 2006

It's a small world after all.....

Spent this evening at an Australian movie "premier". The movie - The Bet. The host - spunky Aden Young (although there's no explaining that accent - Canadian and Australian merged - but then again he is spunky so we can forgive that).

Was so nice to spend an evening watching a movie with aussie colloquialisms, views of Sydney and Sydney harbour, a healthy dose of political incorrectness and an ending that actually reflected a somewhat real scenario. I went along with a buddy from NYC - which made me appreciate just how much I have been missing those "inside jokes".

I've found that I've been here just long enough to now appreciate another level of american movies - for example derogatory references to mapquest finally make sense (you appreciate fairly quickly after the first time you use the site for directions - how you should have just used Yahoo maps).

Anyway back to The Bet...... another realisation that hit me tonight is exactly how small this world is. And that despite the millions of people living on this tiny island - also known as Manhattan - you still can run into some person you knew way back when.

Verdict:
1. Definitely an Aussie film worth watching..... it's Wall Street meets The Secret Life of Us.
2. Aussies definitely get around. No matter where you go in the world.... there's a fairly good chance you'll bump into an aussie you knew at sometime..... so be on your best behaviour
3. Aussie wine is definitely world class (ok so I admit there were drinks after the movie - Aussie drinks more precisely)

PS Speaking of films if you have not as yet seen Thank You for Smoking - go see it. Definitely a film for those of you that can see the funny side of political incorrectness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, although I find it bizarre to be getting advice on Aussie movies to watch from all the way over there ;-)

Speaking of Aussie movies, if you have not seen Wolf Creek yet, do so immediately! Truly frightening doesn't really describe it. I actually had a physical reaction to the scene in the 'torture room' and had to leave what I now refer to as my torture room. Never before has a film made me actually throw up. Shame too, had just eaten the best chocolate!

Love Kitty