Sunday, March 26, 2006

Bonsoir from The Dam and Gay (aka Rainy) Paris

This entry is going to be short and ..... well short.

So I finally get a week off work to travel around some of Europe and enjoy some of the old countries - and what happens..... I get ill. Sick as. The whole time. Combined with the week long of rain I do not think that it fair to make too many comments about this trip. I think my perceptions of the countries visited (especially Paris) are marred by the fact I was so out of it.

A couple of observations I will note though:
* Kez - you are a particularly patient person ...... thanks for being so understanding of my lack of energy and need to sleep many many more hours than normal for any person. Also - many thanks for tolerating those middle of the night work calls! For those people that called - I have one URL for you: www.timeanddate.com. Seriously - it really is very simple. Just enter in where you are calling from - and where you are calling to. And voila! The site takes care of the rest.
* There are only 2 words you need to know in French and 1 in Dutch to survive any trip to Paris/Amsterdam. I'll give you a hint. "Pardon" works a treat. As too "Merci".
* The french really are as arrogant and unpleasant as their reputation suggests. Even the great shopping and chic style of the clothing/shoes does not make up for it (and yes before you ask I did manage to add to both my shoe collection and black top collection..... even in my zombie like state).
* The reek of both countries far surpasses the unpleasant smells in NYC. I had no idea it could be even close to that bad.
* The really do sell $5 bottles of wine in Paris. And it's not half bad. Unlike you Europe aficionados, I didn't realise it would cost more to buy a bottle of water than a bottle of wine. That was almost enough to redeem my view of Paris ..... but not quite enough.

My next couple of trips to Europe have a lot riding on them...... Europe has some major redeeming to do!

No comments: