Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Week of Cold Hard Truths.... who said you have to be cruel to be kind?

So the interns I have been "supervising*" over the summer ended their internship last week. Reason this is relevant ..... their thank-you gift was among other things a mug that reads:

"The Leading Lady:
...is Diva-Licious!
...has many adoring fans.
...is no stranger to drama.
...is all that and more!"

This has certainly been a week for hard truths. I guess they were trying to tell me something.... and thanks to all my work-mates that have seen the cup and burst out in laughter at the fact It's so obvious (massive and bright pink/purple).... while nodding your heads as if in agreement??!!?? Great support! Over the past week I have called "intimidating", "direct", that I have an "attitude problem", "a diva", "a drama queen", "pessimist", "cynic" and "stubborn". What's next? .... "Heinous Bitch"? [***Anyone that disagrees feel free to let me know..... my ego is taking a pounding this week.]

Directness is a part of the culture of NYC... it's what makes this city run. I think it's hilarious though. You would think that I would thrive in this environment but it makes me want to

* A "Sun" term..... which means you are effectively managing staff without getting the kudos, title or additional pay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well hello there Sis!
So I thought I would take this opportunity to address some of the things you have been called as of late, particularly as you put the call out for comments. Perhaps as someone who has known you her entire life, I can shed some light.

1. Direct - Well I must admit your directness is one of the things I most admire about you. I mean who else tells it like it is, no beating around the bush? When I need a dose of reality, you're the first port of call. And I love that about you. From my perspective, it certainly isn't a negative chararcter trait :-)

2. Intimidating - yeah right, you're just a big softie under it all, and the only people who are intimidated by you are either a) jealous, b) obviously have an inferiourity complex or c) have something to hide

3. Attitude problem - having an attitude is by no means a problem, those two words just don't seem to gel. Attitude is what keeps us unique, and most importantly, interesting!

4. A diva - I searched the files and I could find no evidence to refute this claim! (sorry chicky, this one sticks, and you have the accessories to prove it!)

5. A drama queen - see above. what can I say, you and me babe, we're our mother's daughters! the apple apparently doesn't fall far from the tree, and it takes just one look at our family tree to see that!

6. Pessimist/cynic - A few years ago, yes I may have agreed. But as of late you've definitely taken on a more "galss half full" approach to life.

7. Stubborn - ok, so sometimes yes you refuse to budge, but the fact of the matter is, you are rarely wrong, and there is no point backing down when you know you're right. Embrace your stubbornness - sometimes the stupid people need to know just how stupid they are!

Love Kitty xx