Thursday, August 02, 2007

Viva Las Vegas (and the Cape)... Part 1

So it's that time of year again where I venture to our national gathering of business folks (refer to previous posts). This year the venue is Las Vegas. I know.... tough life for this chicky (although +110F [40C] days isn't exactly a comfortable environment for most).

Anyway so I started at a ridiculous 5am last Sunday morning.

I've been up at Cape Cod - a small town called Harwich Port. A friend and her family were up there for Summer break and her family has property up there. Back tracking a bit I leave home Friday morning for the Cape. I barely make it out the door before my rather heavy suitcase containing pressies, a weeks worth of clothes, my laptop and 5 pairs of shoes (you never know what pair you will need) takes me for a tumble down my stairs. In right clumsy form I go surfing down them like on a board (otherwise known as my havaianas) and only stopped thanks to the suitcase jamming between the rungs and the wall and stopping me from continuing.

Anyway there starts my journey. 1.5hour train to New Haven Connecticut, run (with the suitcase I am still mad at) to the next train, another 1.5 hr train ride to Springfield, Massachusetts [**it does not go without notice that the Simpson movie was opening in the US the same day - gives me a tad of a chuckle everytime I thought about it].

So you'd think after 4.5 hrs I'd be close given we are only speaking about the same region. No such luck. Well I get picked up by the lovely sister of my friend who lives in Springfield (I'm still chuckling now... I am such a child). So there starts our 3.5hr drive to Harwich Port. Between getting to know Mary-Ann, discussions with her angels and my work phone ringing every few minutes even though I'm supposed to be on vacation, my vaca day is off to a flying (literally) day.

Cape Cod is a quaint coastal area and really lovely. The beaches are nothing like Aus but still nice to be hanging out near the water. Many thanks to Suzie and her family for their hospitality. Oh and extra thanks to Miss Jenny who is turning out to be among many things a great cook (thanks for the recipe - I may actually make it some time) and for keeping me company as we shopped in town and snuck peanut butter fudge.

No comments: